Taylor Swift course is coming to this Florida university. Here’s what to know

ARLINGTON, TEXAS - MARCH 31: EDITORIAL USE ONLY Taylor Swift performs onstage during the "Taylor Swift | The Eras Tour" at AT&T Stadium on March 31, 2023 in Arlington, Texas. (Photo by Omar Vega/TAS23/Getty Images for TAS Rights Management ) (Omar Vega, 2023 TASRM and Getty Images)

TAMPA, Fla.Taylor Swift fever is hitting Central Florida once again.

According to The Oracle, the University of South Florida’s student newspaper, USF will be offering a literature course involving the pop singer at its Tampa campus this fall.

Recommended Videos

That course — LIT3301: Cultural Studies and Popular Arts — has been offered in the past, typically focusing on pop culture subjects like “Harry Potter” or fictional monsters.

The description for the course reads as follows:

A study of American and international cultures as they are represented in the film, fiction, and other cultural artifacts of various ethnic groups and nationalities. Focuses on values/ethics, race, ethnicity and gender; thinking and writing skills.

USF Course Inventory - Course Details

The Oracle reports that the latest iteration was the brainchild of three English professors who came up with the idea while analyzing the lyrics of Swift’s “Begin Again.”

Classes are set to meet during the fall semester on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:30 - 10:45 a.m.

While Tuesday lectures will be “team-taught” by the three professors at the campus’ Chemistry building, Thursday classes will instead meet in smaller classrooms at Cooper Hall. The Thursday lessons will each be taught by a professor through “break-out discussions,” the newspaper says.

Students may register for any of the three sections — CRN 96126; 961270; or 96128 — which will determine which professor they meet with during the Thursday discussions.

[EXCLUSIVE: Become a News 6 Insider (it’s FREE) | PINIT! Share your photos]

According to The Oracle, the structure has yet to be finalized, though the three professors agreed to study one or two albums on their own to possibly discuss literary themes across Swift’s music career.

Music videos will be shown and discussed during the course. In addition, Swift’s music is set to be compared to literary figures like Shakespeare, Emily Dickinson, William Wordsworth and Lord Byron, the article shows.

The course is open to all majors, but it requires students to have already completed English Composition 1 and 2.

Check out every episode of Riff On This in the media player below:

About the Author

Anthony, a graduate of the University of Florida, joined ClickOrlando.com in April 2022.

Recommended Videos