COCOA BEACH, Fla. – Cocoa Beach police on Sunday asked the public to avoid the area of a Winn-Dixie during a reported bomb threat that turned out to be false, according to the police department.
Police and fire crews were said to be at the Winn-Dixie in Canaveral Plaza as of around noon, the Cocoa Beach Police Department said on social media. Just before 2 p.m., the post was updated to state the area had been secured and all emergency activity had returned to normal.
A news release shared later that afternoon described how police responded around 11:14 a.m. with the Cocoa Beach Fire Department and Brevard County Fire Rescue to a reported bomb threat at the Winn-Dixie. The building and surrounding area were evacuated while the sheriff’s office’s bomb squad searched the premises, the release states.
No explosive devices were found and the scene was deemed safe, police said.
Detectives are still investigating and ask anyone with information to contact the police department’s Criminal Investigations Unit by calling 321-868-3251.